Starting out with D...

Notifications
Clear all

Starting out with Drauger OS...

Nicolas Cinque
(@coolguycinque12)

First off, I really like a lot of things about this distro, the dark and red theme as well as the logo, the kernel being custom towards gaming, and the fact that gaming software has been downloaded already. I've just been having trouble getting it all set up in this os because I'm completely new to this distro. It helps that it's based on Ubuntu because installing software is somewhat easy and familiar. I don't really care about the XFCE desktop environment because I can change it towards my liking, and so far a few bugs have been getting in my way. Such as having to use the drauger os recovery to boot on first boot, and the software updater crashing, but the main problem I ran into whenever I tried to install any package for example, mangohud, the terminal prompts me. It says--

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

mangohud: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.33) but 2.31-0ubuntu9.2 is to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 11) but 10.3.0-1ubuntu1~20.04 is to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Whenver I try to do a system upgrade using the command

$ sudo apt upgrade

It's response:

The following packages have been kept back:
libgbm1 liblz4-1

I've seen a lot of recommendations on what to do from internet searches and such, but I haven't really found a solution. Overall I'm still a linux noob and will need help for complicated commands. I also tried aptitude and it didn't really work. Can someone help me? Here is my inxi command and I installed DraugerOS 7.5.1

CPU: 6-Core AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 4186/2200/3600 MHz Kernel: 5.14.9-xanmod2 x86_64 Up: 35m
Mem: 1146.4/7882.6 MiB (14.5%) Storage: 3.67 TiB (0.5% used) Procs: 287 Shell: bash 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38

Topic starter Posted : 06/10/2021 8:15 am
Thomas Castleman
(@batcastle)

First off, sorry about the late response. i haven't been getting emails about new topics so I am BEHIND!

From top to bottom, a response to the important points you mentioned:

1. I don't advise changing the DE. While you totally can and are able to, if you swap it out, we will not support the new DE you use, as well as any other components you opt to use (such as the WM or DM if you switch to Gnome (which uses Mutter and GDM3)). The rest of your system WILL be supported though.
  2. The recovery option being default on first boot is normal. It's not something we can really fix because the Live USB uses GRUB whereas an installed system on UEFI uses systemd-boot. You can, of course, change this, by using the arrow keys to select which option you want to boot, hitting the "D" key to set it as default, then hitting Enter to boot from there.
  3. The software updater crashing is an old bug. I haven't seen it in a while and it was something that got fixed up stream, so I'm not sure how to fix it. I suggest updating from the command line instead. It's super easy. Just run:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade

It will ask for your password. When you put that in, it will not show it to you or provide any indication anything is being input. This is normal and intentional, for security purposes. However, it is still going in.

4. You likely have held packages because of an issue we had several months back. There is no safe way to fix that, and should be left alone. It's the result of a breakage in Mesa and the options where either no Intel or AMD GPU providing output, and some games not working on Nvidia, or having held packages. We chose the lesser of the 2 evils. Unfortunately, this means some packages won't install. So there's nothing we can do other than suggest you wait until the Beta release of Drauger OS 7.6, which comes out December 4th, 2021.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2021 1:26 am